Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Oh my God! What Have We Done?

It was a sobering moment for me recently when I learned that a neighbor of mine had experienced a tragic automobile collision. Unfortunately, to his sorrow and abiding regret, he was responsible for the death of another individual in this collision. My neighbor had pulled his eighteen-wheeler directly into the path of the oncoming vehicle, costing the driver his life. He will be profoundly remorseful for the rest of his life, I'm sure. For him it was a moment that echoed, "Oh my God, what have I done?"

So too of the collective "Oh my God, what have I done?" moment that awaits our culture when it finally awakens from the brutish nightmare of the practice of abortion. I thought of this collective nightmarish moment when I read these words in a recent news article, "Spurred on by advancing medical technology that makes fetuses more viable and more visible, states have been expanding some rights to fetuses, sometimes in conjunction with anti-abortion groups and the Catholic Church."

Advancing technology, rather than helping man get off the hook from moral and ethical trappings, offering suggestions that life was "nothing more than a biological accident", seemed suddenly to indicate just the opposite - that it was slowly, unwittingly pulling back the curtain on the genocide in our midst exposing a brutally bloody scene being played out right before our eyes.

Time for a collective "Oh my God! What have I done!?" moment.

But we all know this is not going to happen. Not because advancing technology will fail to prove the human viability of the life of the "fetus", but because this culture has no more conscience. It will waive it off. We will double down on our moral predicament adding culpable blindness to willful, wanton genocide.

No comments:

Post a Comment